Try This! Prepping for 1 !

 Okay, okay I hear you complaining already about how prepping is overhyped and how would one prep for one person. Well, I did. 

In fact, I did in October 2020 I went to Safeway near my storage unit and spent over $100 on food and non perishable items and walked them over to said storage unit. 

Bamboo Toilet Paper

I did it again in April 2021, I went to three different stores and purchased toilet paper, tissues, bottled water, laundry detergent, canned food for well over $100 and drove up to my storage unit and stacked away. 

Today, October 2022, and other times this year, I shopped my storage unit. 

Everything from salad dressings to toilet paper to candy I have been saving since 2020...two years later. 

What? you say? How do you control the temperature and is it safe? First off, I am purchasing shelf stable items. Secondly, I place a majority in a second storage container ( clear bins with lids ) Third, I didn't have more than I need i.e. I don't have thirty packs of four rolled toilet paper or 100 cans of soups and chili's. 

Soup

My shopping my storage unit saves about $25 each time I go. Meaning from the price I paid to the time I pick up the savings go up a minimum of one dollar. 

First, Salad Dressing. There is powder packs of salad dressing and there is actual bottles of salad dressing. In the two years, I had four Salad Dressings that were not in a pasta kit. I finally have picked up all four. The price I paid in 2020? it was 2 for $3.00 Safeway brand salad dressing today that is 2 for $5.00. Its an immediate savings of $1. My best choice is the powdered packs that is usually $1. Grab a variety if you can and use three (3); save seven (7).

Next, Soups. I admit my soup collection is impressive but, eclectic too. I have a lot of vegetable soups from Vegan Noodles to Minestrone. Remember, with vegetable base soups you can always add a protein to it. I purchased ten (10) cans of tomato soup varieties at 5 cans for $10, limit 10; I spent $20. I immediately used 4 and saved 6. Today, 2022 the sale on Tomato soup was $1.45 small condensed can limit 5 cans. That is $7.25 for five cans. 

Batteries

Next, the variety I have over the convenience of going to the store. Why do this "prepping" at all ? Honestly, I didn't want to but, when hours were restricted for "seniors to shop" and I would see Grandparents arrive with three or four family members and each family member would get two rolls of toilet paper and go thru separate lines I knew I had to up my game because I didn't have extra family resources. 

Also, Today on Amazon Bamboo Recycled toilet paper for a 12pk is nearly $30. I remember being thankful to find a four pack of toilet paper in 2020 for $5 at 7-11 in Palo Alto. So, when I did go to Dollar Tree in October 2020 and April 2021 I did purchase three (3) the limit of the four roll packs for $1 ( total spent $6.75). Today, I picked up the last of those four roll packs just because my local Grocery Outlet is selling a 24 pack at $13 ( twice what I paid for 6 four packs in over a year ). Also, Dollar Tree is now charging $1.50 for a four pack of toilet paper. 

ER kit

Prepping is considered for people in Florida or the Mid-West when the power goes out and you can't get to the store for days. The fact is the pandemic opened up prepping for everyone. Having powdered milk on hand is important as having extra batteries. Having a "go bag" with all weather clothing is as important as reusing juice jars for water storage. Carrying an First-Aid kit is as essential as having a spare face mask or extra medication available. 

Yes, if I lived by myself I would eliminate those vegetable soups for a vegetable garden that would easily supply me with produce to make my own soups. Yes, if I had a freezer, I would easily store a few chickens and turkeys along with frozen fruits for use out of season. 

But, I don't. I have to minimize my consumption to what I can carry and after today's haul I will look at what I need over what I can carry in an emergency. 

Prepping can mean a lot of things to people but, on the flip side when you downsize you realize how you can save money in prepping. 

ER power

Yes, getting a solar powered battery back up for my electronics is on my Christmas List and it should be on yours too. 

Pro Tip: On Walmart, Target, Costco, and Amazon you can order Bulk items and pick them up from the store

Comments

Popular Posts