Wine ...Its something I know.

 I was starting to think about dating in 2021 with Coffee Meets Bagel  when I was struck by a new reality I am a wine aficionado because while the scene is just coffee I can deliver a small thesis on the Carignan grapes and local wine stores within 15 minutes and give directions to several good Wine spots. 

So, I am going to highlight wine...if that bothers you hold on..there is more to wine than alcohol and cheese pairings. 

Tarapaca Gran Reserva Carmenere 2017
I try to save wine, but when the pandemic hit and my social circle moved away I got some great compensation in wine gift subscriptions. My wine collection ballooned to over 100 bottles and more variety than I could possibly enjoy. By December 2021, I had given away nearly 150 bottles of wine for charity auctions, gifts, and plain old here take this bottle moments. 
So, when I do get to open up a bottle from my "cellar" its something of an occasion. 
I got to open up the the 2017 Vina Tarapaca Gran Reserva Carmenere I wasn't expecting a fruit bomb or something smoky but a good wine with fruit to help my dinner selection of Amy's Vegetable Lasagna out in the backyard.
 
Dinner in the backyard
I admit I have no WSET certification to flaunt my passion in but, red wine and red sauce pasta should be a good combination. 
The Camenere grape in Chilie is a special treat as its depth and the hands of a good wine maker can make an appetizing wine enhance what's basically a modern tv dinner. 

I had not planned to grow a cellar but, there I was with a five year old wine that I admit I could have left for another 3 years or I should have decanted for an hour or so. Alas, I did not. I opened the bottle admiring the deep purple stain ( yes, I lay all my bottles on their side and yes, I turn them or move them periodically ) on the cork. I got the first whiff of tobacco. My mouth curved into a smile this wine is going to be good. 
Vina Tarapaca

I have gotten older and found that I can tolerate wines with 12% alcohol well. This 13.5% burnt the tobacco I smelled on the cork and I started to realize my mistake of not decanting because the anticipation of fruit was met with the a literal burn of alcohol and tannins took out all the saliva I had. On the back end there was a remnant of tobacco and berry. It would be an hour later of air and a different glass where I could enjoy the rich berry of this grandfather of Cabernet except by that time my meal was over and I already had dessert. 

I am more impressed by the wine holding its value and producing quality product for such a time. Equally, the winemaker is committed to a biodiversity. This is important because Chile like California doesn't have a lot of water and ya gotta have water to make wine. Innovative and forward thinking cultivation of grapes like Carmenere help exploit farming techniques that work and some that don't. 

When one thinks about an 90+ wine they go to the Napa Coast but, head South and try some of the wines from Chile  not only for a backyard dinner but, for your cellar too. 

As I ended my night enjoying a solitary glass that didn't burn anymore my compliments to the team. 

Comments

Popular Posts