Wine ....Is it Good?

 I admit I have way too much wine knowledge than necessary. I know about terroir, different farming techniques from dry to vertical, and of course additives. 

I have glasses, upon glasses for different styles of wine and worse I have different bottle openers and preservation devices than actual savings in the bank ( I spent foolishly ). 

But every time I take a my first sip or I am with others trying a bottle of wine or at the end of the meal, event, or beach bonfire I am always asking 

"Is it Good?" 

" Did you enjoy the wine?" " Was the wine good with everything or just XYZ" 

Once I was at a restaurant and I actually avoided a well known bottle of wine because I always try to find a new or experience a different wine. 

The thing is, wines like Duckhorn, Clos du Bois, Fortino, Bonny Doon Vineyards, are always going to be good to me because these are well made wines. 

Consistently, over and over, I have rarely been let down by well produced wines with unique characteristics and styles unto themselves. 

Some things like grapes Charbono, Cabernet Franc and even Merlot can be transformed by the wine maker to a liquid so refined you would think you are drinking gold. 

I'm always trying to get umami flavor in one glass of wine and then I would add cheese (blue and stinky is a favorite) nuts (Hazelnuts) and now add in a fruit spread ( Hawaiian pineapple with quince is a favorite) next the hearty, grain mustard of dijon; but not all in a glass. 

My board of accoutrements has mixed, pitted olives and a heavy serving of salt cured meats sliced thinly that you forget the price you paid. So, I get what I know will be good. 

I also go where I know its good too and I do get to try a lot of different wines just to make sure I am not losing my tastebuds. 

Alas, I am always wondering or wandering 

...Is Wine Good? 

I hope I never find out! 

Comments

Popular Posts