Coffee ....

So, this past week I literally did an in-person random customer test of getting coffee. My preference for a mocha with whipped cream and a warm croissant does not appear on the surface a difficulty. Yet, I was faced with the most intricate experience that I am going to share.

My daily commute into San Francisco, I have the opportunity go to Peet's and Starbucks highlighting differences to keep me as their loyal devotee.


Remember, we're talking about a mocha—a delightful blend of espresso, steamed milk, and a dollop of whipped cream with the  accompanying warm butter croissant. While acknowledging the current challenges posed by societal issues I appreciate and admit this $10 order is an indulgence. 

Both Peet's and Starbucks mobile apps have become an integral part

of the coffee ordering experience. However, the Peet's has struggled with numerous difficulties, ranging from missing names to poorly execution of a mocha that resembled a cold cappuccino. Yet, Starbucks' mobile system frequently directed me to the wrong pickup location, forcing me to walk in the opposite direction of my work or even pick up my order in a different city. These hiccups in the mobile ordering process often left me worried that I was right we should elect Cats as our overlords not Robots.

(Vote for The Cats! Today) 

Now, remember the pandemic was just three years ago the concept getting a coffee and enjoying it was taken away overnight. Whereas today's employers demand for in-person office work increase, people need to have the reliability in restoring their caffeine desires. 

I witnessed firsthand the disappointment that plagues the coffee retail business. At Peet's, the staff was arguing if their employee code was actually entered in the register as I stood patiently infront of them. At Starbucks, an overwhelmed store led to drinks being abandoned by customers who were summoned to work precisely at 9 am. The results of waste of products and dissatisfaction customer service is more costly than

the original $8 drink.

While it's reasonable to acknowledge that one's caffeinated desire conflicts between personal desires and professional obligations lead to missed opportunities and lost revenue for both customers and businesses alike. The question arises: Why wasn't the employees able to pivot for the immediate resolution of providing the product? 

Let's remember the average time an espresso order to be manufactured takes 4 minutes or 240 seconds. The only time this changes is when an barista or client is requesting specialized art / additives. I know this because I was an Amazon Go customer and my average trip for just coffee was under 4 minutes. The machine would grind, steam and pour my precious liquid into a cup and I would be on my way in less time that I would have spent walking to Peets or Starbucks. 


Peet's and Starbucks need to address these challenges to enhance the customer experience. Peet's could empower its staff to notify mobile order customers of any issues with push notifications through the same app with the option to cancel or modify their orders. Meanwhile, Starbucks, could enable an team member to take premade orders out to customers in the line while another team member focus on walk-in customers. By streamlining operations and reducing wait times, improving customer satisfaction. 

The inability to pivot, address mobile ordering issues, and manage overwhelmed stores can lead to missed opportunities, wasted products, and dissatisfied customers. Its clear that Peet's and Starbucks have the same product but inability to empower their staff to recognize and resolve these problems promptly. I state this as it wasn't just one day it was a repeating problem at both Peet's and Starbucks where I spent over the past week a whopping $65 and I was (technically) late to work by 10 to 15 minutes. 


Yes, I acknowledge that the "rush" is a 45 minute time frame in the morning for both Peet's and Starbucks and they can plan for it by adding staff and ensuring the mobile ordering is working properly but in that 45 minute rush some store's day sales is accomplished meaning the profitability of a store can be determined by that 45 minute rush. 

Next week I am going to try Philz, Bluestone, Blue Bottle and Illy to see how the coffee experience economics is or isn't effective. 

(Editors note I always tip a minimum of $1. Part of this blog post was written with ChatGPT. Photos either by author or Unsplash ) 


Comments

Popular Posts