At Last ...last coffee post :)

 Okay, to finish up this coffee obsession I have held I am going to wrap it up a bit. The $6 for a mocha with whipped cream and a $3 for a Croissant warmed is not a lot to ask, but I am surprised when I pay more for it. 

In part there article after article on the cost of coffee beans to the actual drip. The cost of starting a coffee cart to owning a coffee empire. Finally, when I do step up to Market Street in San Francisco there is close to 100 places for me to go to get coffee. Yet, its that 45 minutes of a coffee can make or break a coffee shop. 



For reference, the coffee beans themselves have had to change. Next, there is a lot of coffee places for sale. Finally, the increase of minimum wage is going to be reflected. 

For brevity, here is a snippet of an RFP for a coffee shop in an airport

" The proposed business terms for these opportunities are as follows: One Lease with two locations in T2: 
Space No.1: Pre-security consisting of 865 sq ft. 
Space No. 2: Post-security consisting of 1,974 sq ft. • 
Food and Beverage Coffee concept. • 
Term: 10 years with two 1-year options. 
Rent is the higher of the Minimum Annual Guarantee of $420,000 or the following tiered percentage rent: 
6% of Gross Revenues achieved up to and including $1,500,000.00,  "

Sounds enticing except remember we're talking $6 a mocha the minimum wage is $16 /hour is about to increase to $18/ hour that is a $200 hit to the bottom line and I imagine the $6 mocha is going to be $8 just as fast. 

This doesn't address that coffee as a commodity trades at $180 but the most per pound that a coffee farmer can get is $3. 

Yet, there I am walking on Market street Monday thru Friday debating where to get my treasure from. 

So, in closing maybe I should just open up my own coffee shop ( at home ;) 


Editorial note this rambling post was not ChatGPT generated it was me realizing that I probably should stop complaining about a $6 mocha. 


Comments

Popular Posts