Turkey Day

 


It was a long time ago. My family had to go. I was left at home to take care of the animals because that is what I do. It wasn't the first time I wasn't around the table for the feast but this time I was alone really alone. Mom and Pop had traveled away to see my sibling. My other sibling went away to see them too. It was them and there was me left home alone. 
At the time I didn't mind, I had worked before where we had dinner at four so, I went to work at 6pm to work the night shift another time back then. 
There was other times it was just Mom, Dad and Me ...and a horse made four. It was a different Thanksgiving because it was just us not them.


Being the baby, I got a different sense of Mom and Dad where my siblings had them before. We were all the same unit until we weren't. 
Anyway, one year I had Swanson's Turkey Dinner for Thanksgiving. I was fortunate I had shelter, means to drive myself around and horses of course because that is who needed tending to. 
It would start a strange tradition of sorts whenever I was alone I would remember how grateful I was for that dinner. I was loved and blessed as it was only one day of the year plus, they would be back soon enough for an even bigger holiday. 


Yet, we forget don't we? There are those whom are lonely every day without a horse, a car and a home. Getting a hot meal is so rare that they don't recognize it until its over and their belly is warm. 
There are those who work and work some more on days that are hot, cold and just horrible outside. They are security guards, cashiers, and kids at the movie theater who are standing by waiting for you to arrive as they do a job. Nurses, firefighters, and police too work on holidays but so do X-Ray technicians, pharmacists, and hospital operators. People who stay late or come in early to help out on today. 
There are the shelters, the cooks, and the community of individuals that help you run and pass through the streets in effort to raise funds for those who have none. 

I realize this is a rhyme but not really on purpose you see as its just me on Thanksgiving 2023. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts