Battle of the Bulge : 10 miles plus 100x2 : Swimming

 I tried out for the swim team in high school. I wish I had been more successful because what happened on my recent trip to Texas. I went into the pool and I was in love with it again. So, I was thinking about a swim membership 

Then, on Instagram  I see an ad for 10 miles swimming. I clicked on it and signed up and before I knew it I was scrambling for a pool to swim in. ( Yes, Yes, I did forget that I live near the Pacific Ocean where its free to swim in ). I thought about the Dolphin Club public use fee ($12) and the Rowing Club public use ($14) and then head over the hill to Santa Cruz. 

Then, I remembered Resort Pass  where I could go to hotels and use their pools, gyms, etcetera which is such a luxury. Unfortunately, I am too self conscious and when I am at a snazzy hotel I wanna relax and enjoy it a little more than just hanging out by the pool. 

So, I saw the 3 day membership try out at 24 Hour Fitness and there is a pool. At $45 a month I figured this was worthwhile. There is a 5 (five) day cancellation and then you are sold for one (1) year. I am not sure what I will do but, I did one mile the first weekend. 

Oh, one mile is 70 laps in a 25mm pool. So, over four days I have to ( HAVE TO!) do 35 laps. Trust me that is the least of my worries. 

I am already in $200 debt I purchased one swimsuit on sale for $17 via an  amazon try on haul  then of course do I have a swim cap and goggles, no I do not so that is another $50 down the rabbit hole. Do I have kick boards, specialty towels and bouys or freestyle paddles - these will be purchased on Amazon Prime Day if I don't find them at Goodwill first. 

Next, I have to get in the water. There is a hiccup here ...the water ...the pool ...the naive expectation that its all going to be okay. The water I inhaled on my first set of swimming. The water that Looks clean but is oddly warm? The water that clogs my ears. 

Yes, the water. So, I got in it and realized rather quickly I miss swimming a lot. The water is going to be my pet peeve but now that I spent another $65 on two other swim suits I am going to be swimming period. 

I may lose my hair, I may have pulled my shoulder out. I probably should set expectation of maybe getting 7 of the 10 miles done for the swimming challenge ? Let's make it Five (5) miles the realistic expectation and anything after that in the month of June is gravy. 

As, I am trying to swim with some sense of grace or agility ( picture a sea lion with colorful long limbs maneuvering through the water ) but, I have my own doubts. It takes me about 1 hour to get through the process I am still able to do ten laps without missing count but, don't ask me to do a flip turn ( four feet is shallow!) because my ears are clogged ( editor note : get earplugs too ). 

So, three miles are done and I am setting up to do the next two hopefully it will be a piece of cake ;) 



  


Comments

Popular Posts