Stop the Waste : Close the Loop : Learn to Sew

 The fact there are mounds of waste in third world countries means you have contributed to it. One way to stop that is to stop buying socks when those get holes. 




What? 

Yes, you having a hole in your sock is NOT the end of the world. Its not an opportunity to go shopping. Its an opportunity to enhance your skill set 

Seriously, even purchasing $1 (one dollar) socks it is environmentally expensive and a waste of time and money. Also, socks are a need whether sunny or rainy having good socks on that lasted time is valuable. Plus, once you start sewing you find it easier to do other tasks ...like taxes ...kinda. 


Anyway, earlier this year I cleaned out my storage unit and among the throes of boxes I found a drawer for a dresser with a couple dozen mismatched socks. I think my original idea was to do some kind of wash cloth / cleaning cloth idea. I started to toss them in the Goodwill bag and let them go and then I stopped when I realized the amount of money I had spent getting the said socks. I don't "think" I spent $100 (one hundred dollars ) but I might have. 

So, I stopped and took the mound of socks home to sort and dispense or in some cases repair. The average cost of a solid well made, recycled material used, and comfortable socks is about $15 times that by seven (7) days a week and you get $105 spent. In vain I put the pile of socks in the washer and dryer (maybe some would find homes ;) 


Alas, I had the pile of socks again, and thus decided a plan. 

Step One : Pair off the ones that matched. Fortunately, there was about 15 pairs. 

Step Two : Take the single ones and check the condition - if good give away if bad start a cleaning rag pile. 

Step Three : Review the pairs for repair. Get thread and needle together and start sewing. 

Its easy ...right..several years I do a "care package" from first aid kits with mini sewing kits for holiday gifts so, I collected a few and while good intention the needles eyes are incredibly small. I purchase the large eye needles and then I get to start sewing. 

I usually do it while I do laundry there is a 45 minute stretch of time and so I can get about two to three socks repaired. I could spend time matching thread or patching on another sock to one but, its also a quiet activity. I have to concentrate to one avoid hurting myself with the needle, the length of the thread, and to make sure to tie the knot properly securing the work that was done. 


The "saving money" is really just trying to stop the waste of clothes. Prevent one more sock getting into the trash pile is a endless battle but, we must try if just for the unique sock you wear with the knowledge that you can do that.

Comments

Popular Posts