Pay Your Rent : And How?

 So, it happened. Reality, I am not making enough money to pay my bills. This isn't necessarily bad its, just a temporary inconvenient truth that I have to deal with. I wanted to move out so, I put down a down payment that apparently can be held for 60 days before returning. Yes, I thought for sure the $1800 I put down on the application for the apartment would be returned to me promptly when I wasn't approved. 

I was wrong. 

This was devastating to me. I literally put money down that 1) I didn't have (loaned to me) 2) was technically my existing place rent included in that down payment 3) I did not read the fine print that they would hold it for 60 days. 

Now, I am out money that I have to keep reminding the property owner that I want it back and I have to make sure they give it all back to me. So, my consistent reminder to them that I 1) wasn't approved to rent 2) want my deposit back 

The slimy property management company is just stipulating that I might be approved for another apartment and can apply the deposit to that property. I am telling them No. I want my money back. 

Oh! How could this have been avoided! Oh HOW!? !? 

First, YOU HAVE TO READ THOSE TERMS OF AGREEMENT when you are DIGITALLY SIGNING UP FOR A RENTAL. 

Second, DO NOT GIVE MONEY IF YOU DO NOT HAVE TO. Seriously, just DO NOT DO IT until three things happen 1) you actually talk to the real estate agent 2) you see the property 3) you READ ALL THE TERMS 

Seriously, in the User Agreement I blindly clicked off there is one paragraph referring to the deposit being held even if applicant is not approved for selected apartment. It was BURIED in the document and it was not mentioned in the process of the interview or application. 

Just because I clicked I accepted all the terms of the agreement of the digital application I am missing $1800 right now. 

Yes, I collected an tenant advocate the MINUTE I found out what the scam was because it turned out the "real estate property" agent is NOT THE MANAGER of the property. So, the agent is not the same as the manager who by the way doesn't even know that the agent is accepting deposits. 

So, you need to check the property itself listed by the manager or the owner or the agent. Next, you have to contact the rental agent listing and then before you sniff at an application find out who, what, when and where. 

Finally, DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR CREDIT REPORT. Mine is now sub 600 and they are claiming that my application was not correct because my credit was so low that they can keep my deposit. 

If they want the documents tell them you will meet them in person and give them a copy that does not include your full Social security number. 

Now, I have frozen my credit and literally counting down 60 days and constantly bombarding them for my money back to the point they have threatened me with minus legal fees which by the way I turned and threatened them with mediation as they are not even the owners...and they backed down. 

So, I am counting the days. 

Comments

Popular Posts