54321 Shopping List

 Whether its groceries or home stuff or socks ( I don't need anymore socks - I have to remember this ). The way to save money is sometimes to have a system. Earlier this year I did the 54321 Grocery shopping to one stay under a budget and actually get a number of items that I need? 

That being said by June I was feeling a little hoarding of dried beans and tomato sauce ( like I have 4 bags and 6 cans ). I also wasn't "saving" time and money ( thanks white house ). With the limit of what I was getting there was missteps like toilet paper or cleaning supplies or salt ( I ran out of salt ! ) 

The gist is you were to get 5 proteins ( somehow I would forget about cheese and milk or coffee creamer ) then 4 Vegetables ( so much corn! ) 3 Fruit ( always not enough ) 2 Carbs ( is cheese crossiants a protein or carb? ) and 1 Sweet ( did you ever see me with 4 tubs of ice cream? ) all with a budget of under $100. 

So, I would do process of elimination, or reorganization the next time like 5 Carbs ( I like Sandwiches people and I needed more crackers ) 4 Vegetarian items ( this helped a little but remember my cheese obsession ) 3 Household goods ( garbage bags, cleaner, and sponge ) 2 Necessities ( toilet paper and Advil ) and still 1 treat ( sometimes it was a coca cola ) but still under $100. 

Now I live in a metropolitan area but, I had a problem or two problems. One, I was close to a city that had 10% tax so any paper products were EXPENSIVE two, I don't have a car and needed to lug home 5 proteins ( 3 bags of dried beans, a chicken and bologna ) which was heavy. 


Also, my $100 budget was always tested. Trader Joe's was the spot I would save some money but again it was always missing something off my needs or wants list. I would blow my budget at Grocery Outlet and have to take a cab home which added to my bill. I tried to do the 54321 via Whole Foods delivery and it came out to $140 before tax and tip for the driver though getting it delivered on Saturday morning was ADDICTIVE. 

I tried 54321 at The Dollar Tree. This was unfortunately not successful. One there were items on the shelf that were $5 not $1.50. The carbs were limited and no fresh fruit but, again its Dollar Tree. So, then I thought what if I went to the local store near my work. 

This was so much stuff I was embarrassed but, I did get everything except paper products and I was able to get under $100 



BUT I was 50 Miles away from where I lived and had to travel all the way down to get the items there. 

This was different. 

I ended up doing 5 proteins one day then another day doing 4 vegetables etcetera etcertera this made it more manageable but if I included my time and travel into the expense I barely was under my $100 budget. 

Finally, here is the thing about having a system before you go shopping. 

1. Goals : The budget or the pantry stock all means you don't have to purchase more later and you have met the challenge of meeting the goal. 

2. Savings: There was two to four weeks I didn't have to go out and grocery shop maybe I needed a loaf of bread ( by the way learning to make bread is my winter goal ). I did eventually save money because I had supply 


3. Food Safety: One thing having purchased 5 cans of chicken once meant that if there was a food borne illness I was safe. Secondly, learning some vegetarian recipes also kept me out of the rotovirus issue that went through the Bay Area. 

4. Economics study: Do you know that the county over has less tax than the one you live in? I learned and paid attention to the economics. It really had me review whom was shopping too? 

5. Applying the principal to other things: Clothes, electronics and what did I need. for example going to the Goodwill or a 2nd hand store I needed 5 Work Shirts 4 pairs of bottoms (skirt pants jeans) 3 underwear 2: Jewelry items 1 : Sweater. It worked and I had a budget of $200 and I kept it " hello Clearance " 

Does the 54321 shopping work for everyone and everything ... it can but, unfortunately I would learn the other theory is true too :( 

Comments

Popular Posts