Retail Therapy ? Shopping ? Memory Lane ...
I am going to date myself, Twenty Years ago I was so excited to go to IKEA. It was a destination to go to. You planned to spend some money but most of all it was the soft close doors and drawers that
sucked me in along with the clean lines and how to maximize 500 square feet. I was living in a reported 700 square feet but still I wanted all the fancy glasses and a gazillion tea lights because those are so pretty.
I went back to do a shopping video for my vlog on Vimeo and after spending two hours on a Monday there are no more reason for me to go to IKEA any more.
One, I don't have 700 square feet anymore and then there is so many other reasons like why doesn't a Skarsgaard come with any of the furniture or maybe a Helmsworth come install my Billy Bookcase?
Sorry, I digress.
From Knicks and Knacks to side tables and wood plank bed frames I will have fond memories of planning my housing around where to put a Kallax Shelving unit. In my dismay I wasn't greeted when I arrived on a Monday morning instead I witnessed a rather already tired team member opening shopping bags to put in the newest cart trend of a dolly without the basket ( the iconic yellow IKEA bag is the basket ).
Now, the East Palo Alto store has had its share of difficulty and it showed as I went to go pick up a cup on a table .. it didn't move, due to a spree of vandalism IKEA has started to tag and secure items down to the base of tables and the showcase rooms are also adhered to a security tag or Velcro stickem.
I admit I have not been a regular shopper of IKEA but, I think it was 7 years ago that IKEA started the Family Plan at the EPA. Where families were given food discounts and more. When I walked in at 10:30 am on a Monday I did not expect that within 30 minutes I would be surrounded by toddlers and children. I honestly didn't expect it.
There were the random college students looking for dorm room essentials but, IKEA wants you to come with a baby in tow- two is better.
I am a sucker for a stuffed animal but IKEA when all out for families and some of the highlighted showcases featured that over the lowsome Sink ( Single Income No Kids ).
While I completely understand market research and more there was some just fond memories of going to IKEA.Of course, I had to have lunch because filming was exhausting trying to capture shots and not have people faces in the background. Trying to showcase something one handed. There was some definite ADU suggestions that I have seen on my travels. One place I did see had the IKEA Tillreda just like the display of a microwave with an compact refrigerator and
sink all sitting on the IKEA space saving cart. SINKs do need a kitchen of sorts.
As I walked through the store and thought back how I was so determined to one day get all my plates and bowls for a party at my house from IKEA. Oh the tealights and fancy places to put your shoes. It is functional and stylish but, as I look ahead at a potential living in an SRO ( single room occupancy ) to save money for a year I doubt I am going to have space to put in at ottoman (even if it is foldable ).
While it was interesting to experience filming in public for a vlog video and the meatballs were good. I walked away thinking maybe I should just come here for some fun like going to the beach?











Comments
Post a Comment